INTERRFACE strategic objectives are:
S1. To create a common architecture that connects market platforms to establish a seamless pan-European electricity exchange linking wholesale and retail markets and allows all electricity market players to trade and procure energy services in a transparent, non-discriminatory way.
S2. To define and demonstrate standardised products, key parameters, and the activation and settlement process for energy services.
S3. To drive collaboration in the procurement of grid services by TSOs and DSOs, and to create strong incentives to connected customers, by improving market signals and allowing them to procure services based on specific locations and grid conditions.
S4. To integrate small scale and large scale assets to increase market liquidity for grid services and facilitate scaling up of new services which are compatible across Europe.
S5. To promote state-of-the-art digital technologies that consumers are familiar with in other everyday transactions (i.e. e-auctions, e-commerce, e-banking, social networks), into the electricity value chain, in order to engage end-users into next generation electricity market transactions, creating incomparable economic benefits by deferring conventional energy infrastructure investments.
Technical and Operational Objectives are:
1. To design an Interoperable pan-European Grid Services Architecture (IEGSA) that will connect market platforms in a transparent, non-discriminatory manner and will allow a pan-European electricity exchange that will link wholesale and retail markets and will enable the trading of energy services.
2. To design, develop and deploy a reference IT infrastructure - to materialise IEGSA architecture and facilitate the operation of the aforementioned services and the adaptation of energy market tools.
3. To test the state-of-the-art digital technologies, such as Blockchains and IoT, for peer to peer energy transactions that promote local markets and smart asset management.
4. To mitigate congestions and activate local flexibility resources for system balancing services through innovative platforms, operated by TSOs and DSOs in a coordinated manner.
5. To promote the integration of DERs into the electricity markets, demonstrating mechanisms and platforms leading to the establishment of a seamless pan-European market empowering all market participants to provide energy services in a transparent and non-discriminatory way.
6. To engage consumers into electricity markets with clean energy flows based on a user- operator “alliance” that offsets the variability of renewable energy with effective demand response, active control, distributed storage and peer-to-peer local markets.
7. To demonstrate the IEGSA components and architecture and the relevant IT infrastructure.
8. To facilitate further research and new market opportunities across the energy industry by ensuring an efficient dissemination of the INTERRFACE outcomes to key stakeholders.
9. To create the foundation of new business opportunities, with the selection of SMEs and startups that will be selected through an Open Call -following a cascade funding mechanism- for the development of new services.